[Donor Management System] Understanding the DMS MailChimp Integration
The DMS allows you to connect your existing MailChimp account so both systems can communicate with one another.
How does this integration work?
- The DMS will sync chosen Groups & Smart Groups‘ Contacts with chosen Audiences and/or Interests+Groups on your MailChimp account.
- Synced Contacts that unsubscribe from one of your MailChimp emails will be removed from the Synced DMS Group.
- When a Contact unsubscribes from MailChimp, they will be removed from the Synced DMS Group, however, their DMS Contact Profile will not be marked as “Do Not Email” nor will their Privacy Settings be updated.
- When enabling the integration, it will not sync existing Contacts that have been added to any DMS Group or MailChimp List in either direction. Only newly added Contacts will be synced between Groups.
Why would I want to integrate both systems?
With this Integration, you will be able to:
- Use all MailChimp’s emailing features while tracking some of the information in the DMS.
- Segment your organisation’s DMS Contacts using Smart Groups and automatically update your MailChimp Audiences.
- Track who has unsubscribed from your mass emails on MailChimp directly in the DMS.
What happens if a Synced Contact unsubscribes?
Identifying Unsubscribed Contacts
If one of your Synced Contacts Unsubscribes from one of your emails on MailChimp, they will get removed from their respective DMS Synced Group.
The DMS Synced Group will then appear as a Past Group on the Contact Profile, under Groups.
Adding an Unsubscribed Contact back to the Synced Group
If a Synced Contact has unsubscribed from a MailChimp email sent through one of your Synced MailChimp Audiences or MailChimp Groups, the DMS will prevent you from adding that Contact to their respective MailChimp Audience or MailChimp Group.
This will prevent the decrease of your email’s reputation (resulting in more bounces and spam alerts) and is compliant with North American privacy laws.
However, you will be able to add that same Contact to the Synced DMS Group.
How can I configure this integration?
It is a simple API Integration that can be easily configured by following these steps.