[Donor Management System] How to track your fundraising efforts in the DMS
This article will help you to track your current fundraising efforts in the DMS.
You will be able to use all of our CanadaHelps tools to track all of your fundraising efforts. In the DMS you will be able to track your fundraising data using:
- Campaign Types
- Fundraising Tool Campaigns
- Offline Campaigns
- DMS Funds
- CanadaHelps Funds
- Opportunities in the DMS
- Existing Fields in the DMS
Campaigns are your appeals that are shared with current and potential donors. Campaigns indicate where the money is coming from, they are the way you fundraise. There are various Campaign Types at CanadaHelps that you can use.
A Note on Campaign Types
- Campaigns from CanadaHelps.org – Campaigns that are created through CanadaHelps.org and synced automatically with your DMS. These are the different Fundraising Tool Campaigns available on CanadaHelps.org
- Donation Form – forms embedded in your website where donors can make donations to your organisation
- Event – forms embedded in your website where donors can purchase Event Tickets for Events hosted by your organisation.
- Peer-to-Peer Campaign (P2P) – allow your supporters to fundraise on your behalf by creating their own fundraising teams or joining as individual participants
- Charity Profile – public profile page on CanadaHelps.org where donors can make donations to your organisation
- Fundraising Campaign – an alternative to your Charity Profile in CanadaHelps.org
- Offline Campaigns – Campaigns that are not created in CanadaHelps.org.
Fundraising tool Campaigns
A Note on the Campaign Sync
- The sync is only one way, from CanadaHelps to the DMS. Any changes to your CanadaHelps Campaigns will have to be made from your charity account at CanadaHelps.org.
- CanadaHelps Campaigns will sync automatically with the DMS daily at 11:00 AM EST.
2. When donors make a Contribution to any of your Fundraising Tool Campaigns, that Contribution will be tracked in your DMS as coming from that Campaign in the DMS.
3. When a donor makes an offline Contribution (a donation made directly to your organisation, not through the CanadaHelps appeals), you can manually track that Contribution as part of your Fundraising Tool Campaign.
1. You may have Campaigns that are not in CanadaHelps, we will refer to these as Offline Campaigns. You can create your own Offline Campaigns in the DMS.
2. Once you have created an Offline Campaign, you can manually track that Contribution as coming from that Campaign.
Funds allow you, or your donors, to allocate donation dollars to specific programs. Funds indicate where the money is going to go.
A Note on Funds and GL Accounts
General Ledger (GL) Accounts in the DMS arrange where donation dollars made to specific Funds are being stored in your General Ledger and Balance Sheet.
2. Once you have created a DMS Fund, you can manually :
- Track Contributions as allocated to that Fund
- Associate any Campaign with your DMS Fund. Every Contribution coming from that Campaign as allocated to that Fund
- Note: All In-Kind Contributions will be assigned to an In-Kind Fund
2. To see which CanadaHelps Funds your donors have selected in the DMS, CanadaHelps Funds must be mapped to your DMS Funds
3. After the CanadaHelps Fund is created and mapped, if donors select a CanadaHelps Fund when making their donation, that Contribution will be tracked as coming from the corresponding DMS Fund in your DMS.
Opportunities in the DMS
Opportunities enable you to record and track the status of medium to long-term requests, fundraising opportunities that might be outside of your day-to-day fundraising appeals, like:
- Grant applications,
- Major gifts, and
- Special projects.
Many of your fundraising efforts can be tracked through the DMS using existing Contribution Fields in the DMS.
- Excluded from Tax Receipting: if a Tax Receipt for this Contribution has already been issued externally, or if it is not eligible for Receipting.
- Recurring Contribution: if a donation is recurring.
- In Memory Of: if the donation is in memory of something and/or someone.
- In Honour Of: if the donation is in honour of something and/or someone.
- Payment Method: indicate the method of payment such as Cash or Credit Card
- Thanked: whether or not a Contribution has been thanked