[Donor Management System] Adding Multiple Contributions at Once (Batch Data Entry)
If your organization has received many of the same or similar Contributions from a small to a medium number of donors, you can use the Batch Data Entry tool to add all these Contributions at once.
You can Save incomplete Batches of data as a Draft to Edit Data Entry Batches at your convenience.
Example: 10 donors have donated $10.00 as part of your school supplies package gift guide item and you want to add of all them to the DMS.
How to access the Batch Data Entry tool
1. Go to the Contributions Tab and select Advanced Actions on the top right corner of the screen
2. Select Batch Data Entry from the menu
3. You will be directed to the Batch Data Entry Page which will be covered below.
The Batch Data Entry Page
3. The Batch Data Entry screen allows you to:
- Add a New Data Entry Batch: begin the process of creating a new Data Entry Batch by selecting the New Data Entry Batch button.
- Browse or search a pending Data Entry Batches: the DMS keeps a record of all started and pending Data Entry Batches that can either be browsed or searched on the page. You can’t see completed Batches at this time on this page, however, you can see them by filtering Reports.
Creating a new Data Entry Batch
4. Select the New Data Entry Batch button at the top left corner of the screen
5. On the next page, you will see the following options:
- Batch Name: this field can be edited but will be prefilled with the sequential order of the Batch that is being created and the current date.
- Type: the only selection at this moment is Contribution. We will be introducing new options in the future.
- Description: provides more details regarding your Batch.
- Number of Items: the number of Contributions/transactions your Batch Data Entry contains. The DMS uses this to generate the proper number of rows.
- Total Amount: the total value of the Bath Data Entry (e.g.: if you’ve received 10 donations of $10 each, insert $100 in total)
6. Once you have entered your new Data Entry Batch information, select the Save button located at the bottom left corner of the page
7. On the following screen, you will have the option to insert the necessary information for each Contribution
- Contact: add an existing Contact in the DMS or add a brand new one.
- Received: defaults to your current date and time but can be edited.
- Campaign: which Campaign the Contribution is associated with.
- Fund: which Fund the Contribution is associated with.
- Amount: the Contribution’s monetary value. The $ amount can be entered with or without decimals.
- Payment Method: the payment method utilized in the transaction.
- Status: defaults to Complete but this can be edited.
- Cheque Number: optional for further segmentation.
- External Transaction ID: optional for further segmentation.
- Contribution Source: the source associated with the Contribution when it was originally imported into the DMS (e.g. Historical Data Import).
- Note: optional details.
Note: next to each column’s name you will see a “two pieces of paper” symbol. When pressing on it, you will copy the value of the first row (1) to all subsequent rows (2) on the same column
Located at the bottom left corner of the screen, the actions are applicable to the entire Batch / Contributions.
- Validate & Process The Batch: processes the Batch, each line will be processed individually and the Contributions will be added to their matching Contacts.
- Save & Continue Later: Saves your Batch as a Draft in its current state. The Drafts can be edited or deleted from the Batch Data Entry main page.
8. After adding all the necessary information, select Validate & Process The Batch to add all the Contributions to their matching Contacts.
Searching by Completed Data Batches
You can see your completed Data Batches when pulling Reports.
1. Go to the Reports Tab
2. You can select any Reports under Contribution Reports
3. Select the name of your desired Report
4. Select Filters
5. Scroll down and filter your Report by Batch Name. Your completed Batches can be selected in this field.